Page 6 of 7
1. FOR THE VIEWERS WHO MIGHT NOT KNOW YOU PLEASE GIVE THEM A RUN DOWN
I am an untapped raw talent that has a goal of inspiring others to follow their dreams. I have been involved in the independent music scene for almost 16yrs. Im an Honest Femcee, yet am so much more than just a femcee - Im my own producer, videographer, editor, I have thrown showcases, I have produced Tv shows, I record my own music and my grind is constant. I am CEO of JPBTV.COM online Tv network for indie artist., Im a motivational speaker. a personality..and oo I spit a little - lol
2. LETS GET RIGHT INTO IT WATS ITS LIKE BEING A FEMALE IN THE PITTSBURGH MUSIC INDUSTRY
LOL at times very difficult if you need to depend on others to accomplish your goals. I do not necessary need to do that because I have taught my self many skills; however the road has been a rough ride because of my independent mind set.
My goal as always been to create my own lanes and while doing so allow others to learn grown and hopefully benefit from the lanes that I have created. I am my own producer, promoter, engineer, writer, publicist, videographer, editor and more.
The skills that I have learned has allowed me to share in triumphs in the Pittsburgh music scene, from successful show cases that I have created like the HipHop Buffet series, tv shows Like the Ripple Effect to now owning and operating JPBTV.COM online Tv network for independent artist.
3. WAT SONG MADE YOU WANT TO START DOING MUSIC.
I cannot say one song made me want to do music - because I have had my hand in music since I began playing the recorder in 6th grade - but I have had 3 different instances when I my life that have inspired, motivated and validated my musical existence and me as DaButtonPusha. KRS1 who is my (for lack of a better term) hiphop idol came to Pittsburgh when I was 13yrs old and I didnt really even know what hiphop was at the time, but the way he did what he did made me take notice and want to do something like that (move the crowd) -KRS1 came back to Pittsburgh when I was in my late 20's and Im in the front row - he was rapping on stage - Im standing looking at him as if he was GOD himself - he stopped in the middle of his song and said - "Do Not Look at me in awe - what i can do you can do" from that point I became extremely active in independent music scene of Pittsburgh - going non-stop learning, building , creating and showcasing - just this year KRS1 came back to Pittsburgh once again and while he was on stage - he stopped in the middle of his song - grabbed a JPBTV card read it to the crowd and proceeded to freestyle one full min - into my camera...to me that was validation for all the work I had been doing.
4. BESIDES THE OBVIOUS LUV FOR MUSIC WAT KEEPS YOU INSPIRED TO REACH FOR MORE AND MORE -
YOUNG PEOPLE - period - youth - we need to be sure we properly document our existence in order to show them a path...they need options - at least give them a choice instead of feeding just one way down their throats.
5. WAT IS THE FEMALE RAP SCENE LIKE IN PITTSBURGH AND WAT FEMALE IN PITTSBURGH WOULD YOU LIKE TO COLLAB WITH -wow umm The femcee scene in Pittsburgh is growing because of pioneers like Donna Baxter from SoulPit (yes she used to rap:) Nina Ross (R.I.P.) Ladi Homi, Kelle Maize, Angel Eye Mozal Da Lioness, MaVe, Yah Lioness, Renaissance and more... I have already worked with - on some level: Kelle Maize, HollyHood, Lady Kay, Joy Brown, Kwelin, Young Swiiff, and LaTaDa. I would love to work with in great detail these artist: En-silence, BlakRapMadusa,Donna Baxter, Vanessa German HollyHood, PrettyKrissy, Miss Money, KelleMazie (again) LadyHomi, Sasha Meade, Fya and MaVe... And these are just the females lol...seriously...on some real - whomever wishes to work with me Im game !!
6. TO BE IN THIS INDUSTRY A LONG TIME YOU MUST REMAIN HUMBLE AND GAIN KNOWLEDGE WAT KEEPS YOU HUMBLE ON YOUR JOURNEY IN THIS MUSIC INDUSTRY. Humility comes with failure - As much as I have been successful, I have failed at some things.I dont think I was truly humbled until one of "my plans" didnt work - knowing I will not always win keeps me humble - so my goal is to keep learning, expanding and growing
7. HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT THE PITTSBURGH MUSIC INDUSTRY FOR YEARS LABELS HAVE SENT PEOPLE THERE TO FIND TALENT WAT MAKES PITTSBURGH MUSIC SO DIFFERENT AND APPEALING TO THE INDUSTRY.
Well believe it or not Pittsburgh has been a pioneer in music... from George Benson to Wiz, the problem has been either a musician leaves and doesn't come back to establish our scene or our style gets stole as it was with MelMan and the Dr Dre senior.
We are the Pitts - many kinds of styles get dumped down on us - we mature slower here so the talent brews and stews and meshes - by the time we surface we have many different styles that combine to make a new...the artists who thrive that are from here are the ones who are not afraid of been original
8. WAT WAS THE BIGGEST OBSTACLE FOR YOU IN THIS INDUSTRY AS A FEMALE
O WITH A DOUBT - FEAR The industry is male dominated - I truly think the industry is afraid of a woman being in control could and would do. All of the greats in hiphop has had a strong woman behind them who were willing to be behind the scenes. I think the industry would be scared to death of a woman who doesn't use her body to run things... RUNNING THINGS. They do not want to clean up the business - so they force women to play the game they way they want it played - Image if OPRAH was a hiphoppper - .....wooooweeee
9. RESPECT IS EARNED NOT GIVEN HOW DID YOU EARN YOUR RESPECT AND POSITION IN PITTSBURGH MUSIC SCENE
#GRIND...PERIOD noone has given me anything - and even fewer wanted to teach me much - we are in a town of talker and takers - people talk a huge game and wish to take - very few offer to give - I have not taken anything - but I have always done good, fair business. I do what I say I am going to do with the best skills I have available at the time...and I am always looking to learn, grow and build with real ones.
10. WE OVER AT STR8 DROP HAVE HAD A WONDERFUL TIME WITH YOU TODAY AND WE MUST DO THIS AGAIN WE ASK ALL ARTIST
THIS WAT ADVICE DO YOU HAVE FOR THOSE READING THIS THAT MIGHT WANT TO GET IN THE MUSIC INDUSTRY
1) TRY YOUR BEST TO KEEP UR CREATIVE CONTROL
2) STUDY YOUR CRAFT
3) USE THE MEANS YOU HAVE AVAILABLE TO YOU
4) IF SOMEONE SUPPORTS YOU - SUPPORT THEM
5) LOOK FOR KNOWLEDGE AND NOT JUST MONEY
6) ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS STAY TRUE TO YOURSELF
11. DO YOU HAVE ANY LAST WORDS FOR THE READERS
- yes - Thank you very much for reading - Im not a selfish femcee - so please check out Tha Network http://www.jpbtv.com for all aspiring artist - and submit your videos -
if you wish to learn more about me - viisit http://www.dabuttonpusha.com
DO MORE...LEARN MORE...BE MORE